October 19, 2012

A Taste of Penang Hawker Food and Beach with Loved Ones

Anyway, we call the trip 'SC Retreat'.
I went for a work trip to Penang Island with the council members 3 weeks ago. It was good to be spend time with the old people although 3 of my council members didn't join us. Still, good old times. Sigh, retirement makes me miss these people like mad. A few discussions with the new council members and our advisor plus extra delicious dinners, a duo trip to Penang town, swimming, and some time at the beach.
Whatever discussions we had there remain confidential within the councils. I'll let the pictures talk. Sorry if the pictures are not in order.

They had this parachute sight-seeing (is this what you call it?) by the beach outside our hotel. I think it's romantic to do this with a partner, as in lover. :)

My friends were shocked that I brought my Chemistry book and file for the trip. I had to, simply because I would have a test on the day after I came back. They didn't believe that I would study, meh, I proved them wrong.

Beautiful view of the hotels by the beach on our first morning.

Serenity.

Breakfast!! By the way, everything on this table except for the bowl of cereals belong to the current Technical Director. Big eater, yes. But scared of Slender.

Kenny Rodgers muffin bought by mum. My family went to Penang too, stayed in the same hotel. No, they were not stalking me, I will slap you if you think so. They just wanted to bring my grandmother on a vacation. 

First night's dinner: Clockwise from top: Fried spring roll, oyster omelette, asam laksa and  fried kuey teow. 

Lovely beach. Many foreigners spent their time there besides the locals.

There was even a wedding by the beach. I was excited to know that the bridegroom is a Korean. I would love to marry a Korean star. You know, those Kpop stars... What a dream.

I love this photo a lot because of the lighting effect.

Second night's dinner in Gurney Plaza. Clockwise from top, mata kucing drink, pasembur, rojak buah, asam laksa and otak-otak.
*Mata kucing is a type of fruit. Pasembur is a dish in which sliced up dough and prawn fritters, bean curd, squid and hard-boiled egg served atop a bed of sliced cucumbers and yam bean along with a myriad of sweet and spicy sauce. Rojak buah is a mixture of fruit cuts in thick brown sweet and spicy sauce. Otak-otak is cake made of fish meat and spices.

My vice president's meal, wanton noodle with pork. Looks delicious. Well, he said it was the best.

Burnt squid. I heard that it's popular in Gurney Plaza. So I gave a try. Despite tasting bitter (it's really burnt), I enjoyed this snack. My friend did not. Just a warning to tourists, think twice if you're there for good food. Unless you're up to something once in a lifetime, I suggest you don't eat this.

Cai kuih. Vegetable-filled dumpling. I ate 4 of them, so I reckon you know how delicious these dumplings were?

Studying arenes and amines on the way home in the bus. How determined.

First night's dinner place: Batu Ferringhi. 

I could just roll around here and lie down while listening to the soothing sound of the waves.

I spent 5 minutes waiting to catch the perfect shot.

Our hotel's spectacular swimming pool. It's not that huge but they've got a lovely ambiance there. All the greenery, coconut trees and the sweet scent from the jasmine trees.
Penang Island is an interesting tourist destination. Many Japanese have their summer vacation there. I have a number of Japanese acquaintance who always go to Penang Island besides Langkawi Island. Mouth-watering local cuisines, beaches with picturesque scenery and historical buildings (check out the shops' architecture in town!). 

If you're looking for food, I recommend to try the hawker food (asam laksa, pasembur,  fried (char) kuey teow, oyster omelette, spring rolls, rojak buah) and nasi kandar among the well-known dishes there. Gurney Plaza, Batu Feringghi and town, those are where you can find good food. 

If you're more adventurous, drive or take a bus to Teluk Bahang, where seafood restaurants and fishing villages are. You'll have the opportunity to see them bring back fresh catch and you can have an awesome seafood dinner there, FRESH! You can select your own and ask for it to be cooked in a number of ways. 

Another advice, it's better if you share food with others (whoever you're going with). Trust me, you'll pay less for a larger variety of food. My first night's dinner consisted of 5 different dishes and I paid less than RM15. I got bloated, if you think that sharing food is not enough.

p/s: I scared my friends by banging into the cupboard and jumping onto my friend's bed after I 'woke up'. Sleep walking rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment