February 20, 2013

Get Your 'Fat' Facts Right

Fats. Lipids. Triglycerides.
I see them as unhealthy.

I can never understand why would a slim person, let alone a thin one, thinks that he or she is still fat? I know many people, mostly girls, who think this way, hence leaving me racking my brains to find out which part of their bodies have extra chains of fatty acids and glycerol.

I see my friends posting pictures of mouth-watering food. Then the captions would be something like: 'Yummy dinner with X. Ohmygawd, fatty me.' or 'Dinner is making me fat. Fat again.' And I would look at their profile pictures and say, "Thin as a stick and you call yourselves fat? So what makes me? Obese? And the obese people? Extremely dangerously horrifyingly obese XXXXXXXXXL people?"

There are those who compare themselves with slim idols and would say, "I wanna be as slim as her!!" And I would go, "Woman, where the hell is the mirror?! Aren't you slim enough?!"

I'll be honest. Why think this way? Before I continue, I know I may offend some people but I'm going to be honest and I want to share with you about my thoughts on this ridiculous mindset.

First of all, ask yourself what is the meaning of fat? Scientifically, fats are triglycerides, made from the esterification between one molecule of glycerol and three molecules of fatty acids. Fats are categorized as saturated fats and unsaturated fats. Commonly, fat means you're big, round and you've got layers of lipids in your body. You're not fat if you have small bulk of fats. You need fats to protect your organs and aid your body thermoregulation, for your information. Fat means your weight is disproportional to your height - you're too heavy for your height. Ignore the scientific definition.

Don't look at the mirror because clearly your eyesight has failed your brains so badly! Go weigh yourselves and get your heights. Now calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI) and check if you are overweight, fat, normal or..........UNDERWEIGHT. If you are normal but still think you are fat, readers please, open your eyes and for your own sake, start admiring your beautiful selves! It's even worse if you think you're fat when you are actually underweight! You're practically standing at your own graves.  

I know, being super slim (in other words, thin) makes you look good, pretty and sexy. But does your body feels the same way? And I mean every cell, tissue, organ and system in your body. Your mind and brain may tell you that you look gorgeous this way, but I can assure you that your body is begging you to save it from malnutrition.

Being super slim also means: 'Yay, my boyfriend says I've grown thinner! My friends are envious of my figure!' But does it also mean, 'Yay, I am healthier!'?

Now, it's not wrong to be slim AS LONG AS you have THE HEALTHY BMI, THE HEALTHY WAYS OF BEING SLIM and THE HEALTHY MIND. Take a look at J.Lo and Beyonce. Hands down to these two gorgeous women. I'm not talking about their looks but I'm talking about their attitude in being FIT and HEALTHY. Yes, the right words that everyone should own: Fit and Healthy. How they maintain such fit and lovely figures, it amazes me. They eat whatever they want, then they burn those calories away by regular exercises without pushing their bodies off limits. Yes, they do diet but its healthy diet instead of starving themselves. The result: they don't grow fat, neither do they lose so much weight.

I have a friend who had a little fats here and there. Yet, her positive thinking and attitude are simply inspiring. Instead of wanting a thin body, she just want to get a healthy weight and fit body. I see her eating food high in calories but she eats them in the RIGHT amount. She exercises almost everyday to stay healthy and tone down the fatty areas. Whether slim or not, she isn't embarrassed to flaunt the beautiful body God gave her. Personally, I think that she is not as slim as those female Kpop stars, but she's got the curves at the right places. To some people, having curves is just another bad luck thing, I have no idea why. Her confidence and pride in her body actually makes her look even better than those thin-wannabes. A few days ago, she achieved her goal by practising positive habits. And I can bet that she is going to maintain this healthy figure instead of continuing to reduce her weight and end up as anorexic.

What I'm trying to say is that be proud and feel good about your body. To the slim ones, just maintain your figures. Don't go any thinner because you're killing your body. To the thin ones, eat more please. Get out from the underweight world! I know there are people with ridiculously high metabolism and can't grow any fatter, but do your best to be healthy. To the fat and obese ones, including me, don't feel demoralized. Take it as a challenge to be healthier. While in the process, dress properly and confidently and I promise, you will look gorgeous.

It's important to get healthy figures for our own sake, not for the sake of wanting to be as slim as our role-models. Most importantly, don't over-compare yourself with others. It's bloody unhealthy! You'll just feel depressed and throw yourself into committing the anorexia mission. Get your ideal figure (AND I BLOODY MEAN HEALTHY AND FIT FIGURE) by being positive. Don't end up hurting yourself. 

And I'm going to start my own mission. I have a tummy screaming for attention, flabby arms and fat thighs. But I'm not going to feel miserable and all, go on an extreme murderous diet and scold myself for being fat. No. I am gonna eat the right way and burn those fats. I not only want a healthy figure, but a healthy body for a healthy future. A healthier me. Go healthy!!! 

Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment