February 11, 2013

My Chinese New Year

A typical welcome to Chinese New Year (CNY) in my life in Malaysia is usually started with the loud fire crackers and fireworks around my neighborhood at midnight, followed by a little bit of rolling in bed the next morning, then some last minute CNY clothing before a stressful journey to my popo's place.

I have 2 grandmothers. One of them is staying with me and I call her nenek which means grandmother, in Malay language. She's a pure Chinese by the way. My other grandmother stays with my uncle and I call her popo which means grandmother, in Chinese language. She is also a pure Chinese. A journey with nenek, especially during CNY is always stressful because she would be forcing everyone to follow very, very, very old yet forgotten weird traditions and nonsensical beliefs. Too nonsensical that most of the times, nenek drives us up the wall. And today, like any other first day of CNY, my father and I listened patiently to my mother trying her best to stand whatever nonsense coming out from nenek's mouth.

Thank God, the stressful journey was short and hopefully, will be that way. Most of my relatives have gathered at popo's house, entertained either by my nephew Aidan or by KBS channel. It was lively and merry but not as much as during our complete gathering once. Some of my relatives are still in Australia, Singapore and went visiting elsewhere. But still, one has to be thankful to Him for each family member is still breathing in His care.

Popo didn't cook her delicious vegetarian dish this year because she's too tired. So my uncle bought vegetarian food instead. Somehow, there was a miscommunication and I thought that I couldn't eat the food (which I could actually!!!). Sigh. I was staring longingly at the roasted vegetarian chicken, wondering what did I do wrong to not being able to savour my favourite dish. I think I'll attack the vegetarian shop nearby to heal my broken heart.

My cousin who recently came back from her vacation in Seoul gave me some nice souvenirs. Do check out her lovely blog Reaching Out, Reaching Up on her Seoul trip, makeup product reviews and more.



Every year I remind myself that CNY is not about the red packets and food. It's all about spending time with loved ones, just like any other festive seasons. I remember I used to look forward to receiving bursting red packets when I was little. As my cousins and I grow older, we find that those red packets aren't bursting anymore. At first, I was filled with disappointment. Then, I took a good look at each of my elder relatives to have a moment of realization. Within 10 months while I was in Japan, so much has happened in my family that sometimes, things are beyond recognizable. One thing led to another that now, everyone looks so old, tired and run-down. And there I was, being selfish, thoughtless and ignorant to problems my relatives had and have. Overwhelmed with regrets, I learnt that money is not everything, neither it is the meaning of Chinese New Year. Family is everything. God's precious gift to us.


Happy Chinese New Year everyone!!!

p/s: Like my braided ponytail or whatever you call it? ;)

CNY wish from my husband. I feel the love.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nurul,

    You got the wrong infor. This year popo still cooked her favourite dish i.e chak choy and tong sui. Your Pauline aunty walked all the way to Mega Mendung to buy 3 dishes of vegetarian dishes and walked back to popo's place not your uncle. Your kao moh cooked the rest of the dishes.

    ReplyDelete