February 2, 2013

Mama Cat

Hey readers. Padi is already a mum.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Have you digested the news yet?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I meant to announce a few weeks ago that Padi has jumped into the preggie wagon along with Megan Fox but I couldn't due to finals. All I can say is that she looked like an alien with a humongous belly.




 Padi gave birth to SIX(!!!) healthy kittens yesterday. I came home just in time for her to scream, "My kids are coming out!!!" (in her cat language) at me. So, both my mum and I were by her side while she took around 2 laborious hours to give birth to her first kitten. Then, the other kids came out like bullets, really smoothly, in less than an hour. She gave birth to her sixth kitten sometime around 3 in the morning. Alhamdulillah, everyone is safe and sound. It was our first time witnessing such beautiful moment despite the bloody embryo sacs falling out. But to see Padi transforming from a small and young cat to a mother with such good motherly instincts, is something to be admired. It's an unspoken beauty of animals created by Allah. I kept patting her, holding her paws while telling her to push and breathe. She understood as I felt her taking deep breaths to push her first newborn kitten out. She was also yelling (meowing?) in pain to us.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to some of you because you would wonder how understood her messages. I'm not sure about other animals, but if they find someone they can trust or if they have owners, cats will want these people to accompany them while they give birth. You will sort of develop a bond with them and somehow understand what they're trying to tell us. It's important for cats to trust their owners because we too, need to take care of their kittens just in case the mums go out for a rest or die. 

Seriously, thank God she gave birth after my finals. Dad just got a huge project and can hardly pay attention to Padi and her kittens. Hence, I'm in charge of them. My mum can't wait to play with them while Beta the rabbit is actually happy. My other cat, Muk Ching, on the other hand, has yet to give any positive responds, except for being horrified. 

I bought some good cat food, canned and biscuits for Padi since she needs more protein to stay energetic and productively breastfeed the kittens. I also found a nice cat cushion/bed for them. Oh, and some toys and rags for me to build a play pen for the kittens.

We won't be keeping all the kittens though, due to financial problem. Feeding 8 cats is too much for us to handle. So once the kittens are independent and do not rely on Padi's milk anymore, we will give some of them away. The difficult part has yet to come, which is when we feel attached to them. I know I will cry, but for their better sake, I will do anything to keep them happy. 

So, finally accepted the fact that Padi is a mum to 6 kittens? 

Breastfeeding the kittens.

6 blessings.



No comments:

Post a Comment